For years we have been told that exercise is good for us. Now the evidence is becoming indisputable. Being inactive is as bad as smoking or drinking too much alcohol. It could even be more serious than that.
Over the years I’ve found so much information I didn’t know what to do with it. I mainly shared it through my original blog or kept it private hoping to share it when I found the right approach. For many of these articles I’ve now been waiting years which just isn’t helping anyone.
I recently realised my blogs are the perfect medium on which to share because I’m most interested in the discussions and debate around this topic. I don’t feel I have the answers, I share because I’m interested in learning and using what I learn to help me on my journey through life.
I have now started to organise all I have found and it’s re invigorating my dreams because the message really is about living your life. The act of living itself is what we must do. Moving is living. Activity to me isn’t just physical it is mental and emotional. Thinking about things makes your brain active, experiencing emotions involves both your brain and your body.
For now most information will be about physical activity because that is what is most available. Though I am looking for and finding interesting articles in all three areas. Over time this and all the other posts will grow as I continue this life journey.
For now I’m creating a series of articles covering the various topics related to activity and health. So far I have published:
- Obesity: Obesity: What you can do
- Weight loss: How to lose weight
- Cancer: Battling Cancer through exercise
- Insulin Resistance: Can you reverse insulin resistance
- Dementia and Alzheimers: Mental Activity may circumvent dementia
- Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) Can you manage Coronary Heart Disease through physical activity?
- Diabetes: Tackling Diabetes through exercise
Activity is so useful throughout life that I’ve also compiled a list of the main articles worth reading to build your general knowledge.
- effect of physical inactivity on disease worldwide Seminal article giving stats on the cause of disease through inactivity
- pandemic of physical inactivity
- Heart disease and diabetes: Move out of their way: Seminal article linking CHD, Diabetes and insulin resistance.
- What factors make us kick the bucket
- get busy living or get busy dying
- Injury: Correcting impaired cells
Here is more useful information
- Inactivity the greatest public health problem of 21st century: full edition of @BJSM_BMJ http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/current (pay) pic.twitter.com/p4Snikc1jw
- What Ultra-Marathons Do to Our Bodies: Those who race 50 to 100 miles at a time or longer tend to be older and have different health concerns than most of us might expect, new research shows.
- Learn how walking is good for your body.http://go.usa.gov/ZvQH
- The Inactivity Time Bomb: a StreetGames / Cebr report
- Impact of exercise training without caloric restriction on inflammation, insulin resistance and visceral fat mass in obese adolescents: a study investigating whether exercise has health benefits even without calorie restriction. The answer: it does.
- The lancet physical activityobservatory: promoting physical activity world wide: A short summary of the benefits of activity, prevalence of inactivity throughout the world and the current steps to address it.